On January 12, at local time 16:53, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti, a small Caribbean country and devastated the capital city Port-au-Prince. This is the greatest earthquake ever occurred in the country since 240 years. Prime Minister of Haiti told CNN that the death toll could be more than 100,000 people . However the International Red Cross estimated that the victims may reach 3 million. Since the earthquake occurred in the evening ,the night came soon after that. Many Haitians set up fire at the beach and spent the night together. Thousands of people gathered at the public square of Port-au-Prince, sang hymn by holding hands together to comfort one another.
With a heavy heart, I would like to share with you the suggested action from HISTEAM one week after the occurrence of this strong earthquake. Disaster relief action by HISTEAM is carried out based on the suggestion and with spiritual coverage of our strategic partner, CREST. Thus our focus of disaster relief and influential area are only restricted in Asian region. Christian relief organizations around the world have long to network and have reached a consensus in mutual cooperation. So we have decided to let the Christian relief organizations which are nearer to the disaster site and are more professional to lead the relief action. Currently, there are no less than 46 Christian relief organizations at the front line, giving all levels of assistance to Haitian victims. HISTEAM will not initiate any action plan for Haiti disaster relief but we will still collect donation and transfer the fund to international relief partner in America.
HISTEAM urges Chinese churches in Malaysia to support our suggested international disaster relief partners to do better in their aiding through donation and prayer. The offering designated for Haiti disaster relief fund could be channeled to HISTEAM before 28/2/2010. We will transfer all the offering collected to this international disaster relief partner, Humanitarian International Services Group (HISG) with their brief description as below:
HISG is a New York state non-profit corporation, led by a group of professional Christians. HISG focuses in providing support services to US and international for-profit and non-profit organizations for crisis response and humanitarian developmental initiatives. In short, “They connect resources to needs”. HISG has now networked over 45 warehouses across the USA to work collaboratively to aid the poor and needy around the world. The Executive Director of this organization was awarded with Best Volunteer Award of the year by President Bush due to good testimony during disaster relief of Typhoon Katrina. They also came to bless Malaysian Christian many times by giving disaster relief training at all levels. Now, they are providing food, water, shelter and medical aid at the very first moment to the victims in Haiti. HISG is supporting two “flight kitchen” feeding stations that will serve a total of 50,000 meals per day upon arrival in Haiti. (For details of action plan by HISG, please refer to Appendix 1)
To help the earthquake victims in Haiti, HISTEAM is giving out RM 5,000 to support HISG who assists the suffering Haitians at once. HISTEAM urges churches in Malaysia to practice the relief spirit of “fellowship with those suffering”, give generously to HISTEAM for relief effort done by HISG in Haiti. At the same time, we also attach two other international Christian organizations for your reference which are aiding the Haitian victims in the front line at the first hour and they are reputable and more organized , prayerfully this will be helpful for you as you can respond to the needs in Haiti at once (refer Appendix 4). If you are willing to engage in a partnership with HISTEAM to respond to this disaster relief, please fill in the response form and send it back to us through email or fax. For donation by cheque, please specify “Haiti Major Disaster Relief”.
1. Please post us this response form together with the cheque (payable to HOLISTIC INTEGRATED SERVICES BERHAD) to 20, Jln Anggerik Doritis 31/156, 40460 Kota Kemuning, Shah Alam, Selangor.
2. Directly bank-in the offering collected to Maybank account <MBB：512781012599>, after that fax or post us this response form together with the bank-in slip. Our fax no. is 03-51210717.
Let’s not forget to look up to God at this critical moment. Let’s pray to our Heaven Father that He will wipe off the tears of those who are surviving in this disaster, and ask for His saving grace. Thank you for your prayer in unity and a loving heart to respond!
“he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove the disgrace of his people from all the earth. The LORD has spoken. In that day they will say, “Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD, we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation.” Isaiah 25: 8-9
Pastor Andrew Wong, CEO
Appendix 1: Action plan from Humanitarian International Services Group (HISG)
HISG is responding to the enormous need in Haiti by supporting services in four critical areas: food, water, shelter, and medical care.
HISG is supporting two “flight kitchen” feeding stations that will serve a total of 50,000 meals per day upon arrival in Haiti. These village feeding stations that HISG is working with are completely self-contained and will make help thousands of families in need.
HISG is working with another partner to provide thousands of single-family drip filter units that can supply a family with clean water for an entire year. The filters are easy to assemble and maintain, and are available right away for less than $20 each.
We also have an opportunity to provide larger systems that can treat 10 gallons per minute, up to 10,000 gallons per day – enough to serve 5,000 people! These systems are portable, self-contained, and built with a rugged design so they can be transported by pickup truck into the rural areas that are often the last to receive aid. They can be set up in just two hours, meeting an entire community’s need for water.
HISG is supporting a team of surgeons who are headed to Haiti to provide critical medical care to earthquake victims. HISG has partnered with this medical network since 2004, in both disaster response efforts as well as community health projects in a number of different countries. In addition, HISG is helping collect over the counter medical supplies like pain relievers, bandages, gauze, bandages, tape, medicated skin creams, alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointments, and such. These donations can be sent to
International Medical Response Headquarters
1600 EMERSON STREET – DENVER, CO 80218
HISG is preparing a shipment of tent-making materials that will provide shelters for families that have lost their homes to the earthquake. Many families are afraid or unable to sleep in their houses, and the tents will offer basic protection from the elements.
Appendix 2: Suggestion to church – Pray for the victims of Haiti earthquake
1. May God’s relief and assistance reach to the survival of this earthquake as soon as possible – through the bodies of Christ who are successively present in the disaster area to bring real & relevant comfort, compassion and hope of Christ. (There have been 46 Christian Relief Organizations arrived at the disaster area to provide emergency material aid and medical relief till 16/1/10)
2. May God’s comfort fall upon the victims who have lost their love one in this earthquake – through the relief professional and volunteer who present at the disaster area to minimize the pain they suffer from and maximize their courage to face tomorrow. (Haitian government declared that the latest death toll is 50,000 and another 1,500,000 people homeless till 17/1/10, however as the extent of damage caused by the earthquake revealed gradually, the number of death toll is increasing.)
3. May the disaster relief team members and organization has wisdom to consider the priority in implementing the most needed assistance project and also to integrate and distribute material aid and volunteers from all over the world systematically. (HISTEAM will transfer all the offering collected before 28 Feb 2010 to HISG for Haiti Rebuilding Project)
Appendix 3: Brief description of Haiti, the affected country
Three quarter of the country of Haiti is mountainous, total population is 9 million, but the number of poor people reaches 8 million where 5% of them couldn’t earn 1 USD a day. Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world. Their major economy is agricultural sector, greatly depend on foreign aid, 76% of the people are living below poverty line, 56% of the population were undernourished, there are only 20% of the population can use the clean tap water, the adult illiteracy rate is 47%, the poorest state in Western Hemisphere. 95% of the Haitian are descendant of the slaves brought in by France from Africa 400 years ago, 5% of them is the descendant of European. 80% of the Haitian population is Catholic, 16% of them is Protestant Christians. The official language in Haiti is French and Creole, 90% of them speak Creole. There are 2 million of citizens in its capital, Port-au-Prince.
Haiti achieved independence on 1 Jan 1804, the first independent nation in Latin America and Caribbean country. Since independent, it faces ceaseless civil strife. In 2004, an armed rebellion forced the resignation and exile of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and a provisional government took control with security provided by the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH). Now there are about 9 thousand people of the stabilization team in Haiti. However, the earthquake in 12 Jan has devastated majority of the headquarters of United Nations stabilization team. Many of them are buried under the rubble, either dead or injured.
Appendix 4: Other Christian Relief Organizations which churches could consider in giving donation
- Samaritan’s Purse is a non-denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. For over 35 years, Samaritan’s Purse has done our utmost to respond to the parable of Good Samaritan where Jesus commanded us “Go and do likewise” by going to the aid of the world’s poor, sick, and suffering. Till Jan 17, Samaritan Purse has sent few cargo planes to Haiti. At the end of next week, it is estimated that they could provide temporary shelter for 6000 people and also 500,000 gallon of clean water every day. Currently, there are 21 team members at the site, building the distribution networks and ground transportation support. They are planning to add another 10 units of drinking water filtration systems that operate using diesel and solar energy. (www.samaritanspurse.org)
- Convoy of Hope is Christian humanitarian aid organization formed in 1994 with headquarter sets in America. Its strategy is to connect churches and community to work together in community outreaches, disaster response and sustainability programme. Convoy of Hope has been taking care of the children and assisting in disaster relief in Haiti for a long time. Currently, there are 16 full-time social workers from the organization, setting up the command centre outside of Port-au-Prince, widely open their warehouse that is full of emergency aid to provide food, water, tent and medical aid to victims. Now, Convoy of Hope is feeding 7000 poor children in Haiti every day. (www.convoyofhope.org)