Dear Co-workers in Christ,
Thank God for His guidance that me and another volunteer had carried out the recce of the disaster area in Taiwan at 18-22/8 successfully. God is so good, He guided us to meet the right person and visit to the right disaster area in this short trip. We had visited to Dajin in Tainan County, shelter in Sandimen, Pingtung, Linbian and coastal disaster area along Jiadong. While visiting to the disaster area, we interviewed the front-line relief Christian co-workers and the victims. Being in the disaster area, the first thought that came to my mind was “Oh my goodness, the public facilities, natural ecology and houses were severely destroyed by the mudslides, how the reconstruction should start? I was so surprised why there was only little report in Malaysia for our international news. No wonder many of the pastors and church leaders have underestimated the damages brought by this typhoon and its seriousness.
Walking in the site of the disaster affecting area, besides seeing the soldiers of the country present for the relief, there were other religion groups like Tzu-Chi, Fo Guang Shan, I-Kuan Tao, Mormon, Catholics etc being there for relief work. Thank God for brothers and sisters in Taiwan who are willing to be hands and legs of Christ, serving in the disaster area with all their heart, all their mind and all their strength. They initiated food relief delivery at the initial state, cleaning and disinfecting of the affected housing area in a systematic manner. After this recce and visitation, HISTEAM wish to appeal to Churches in Malaysia to consider supporting our brothers and sisters in Taiwan to fight this long good fight. According to the teaching in the Bible, we apply the spirit “weep together with those who weep” after this Typhoon Morakot, considering in applying these 3 relief action plans:
- Pray with All your Heart ~ set apart a Sunday service in September as “Typhoon Morakot Sunday” to pray for the victims there and the reconstruction project. The church may request a “Typhoon Morakot Relief” photo-presentation from HISTEAM to be played during the Sunday service or prayer meeting and set apart the offering collected as relief fund. You are welcomed to attend the “Typhoon Morakot” disaster response briefing which is held by HISTEAM at churches as shown below:
- 4/9(FRI), 8pm ~ Pioneer Chinese Methodist Church, Sitiawan
- 5/9 (SAT), 8pm ~ Elim Gospel Hall, Ipoh
- 12/9(SAT), 4pm ~ LCMS Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Petaling Jaya
- 24/9(THU), 8pm ~ Full Gospel Church, Johor Bahru
- Serve with All your Strength ~ HISTEAM will form a relief comforting team to go to the disaster area in Taiwan at 28/9 – 3/10. We are recruiting Christians who are professional counsellors, professional clowns or anyone who is interested in helping the rebuilding of the houses there. The team will only consist of 10 people (including the team leader). Each member would need to pay about RM3,000 for the expenses of the whole trip. Please register with Sister Chiok Ann Nee (registration hotline 010-2979638).
- Donate with All your Mind ~ By having faith in God, HISTEAM has decided to raise RM120,000 for Christian organizations in Taiwan which have long-term rebuilding plan after this disaster (donation hotline 013-3093095). We would like to bless three Christian organizations as stated below to accomplish their in-depth and long term community development projects.
- Chinese Christian Relief Association ~ Provide trauma counseling for victims and NT$ 50,000 of emergency aid to each household whose house was totally being destroyed due to the typhoon. Assist in the reconstruction of water resources of 10 tribes which are located in the mountain side of Southern Taiwan by building a water pipe of 80km long. Provide tuition fee after class of three consecutive years for 600 children in 30 districts of Southern Taiwan.
- World Vision, Taiwan ~ Assist in emergency placement and distribution of material aid, assist in settling down the aboriginal victims, set up children centre and three years of housing rebuilding projects. Will build “relay house” or “permanent house” in Pingtung for relocation of 940 households.
- Minorities For Christ International ~ Establish “School of David” for the children of the minorities to have musical and praise-and-worship lesson after school for one year. Provide musical instrument class to 120 children of the minorities for trauma healing and introducing our God the Creator in a year and this will be started in September.
It’s a very long journey for the rebuilding process. Thus HISTEAM is inviting you to join us together for the assisting and caring for Taiwan Typhoon Morakot relief, responding to the urge of “Praying with all your heart, Serving with all your strength, Donating in all your mind”. Pray in the name of the Lord that the victims in Taiwan will recover from this pain soon and regain hope in entering the eternity.